Nine bodies have been found in another mass grave in the Libyan town of Tarhuna after fighters loyal to eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar withdrew, pro-government forces said yesterday.
Tarhuna, southeast of Tripoli, served as the main staging point for Haftar’s abortive offensive aimed at seizing the capital from the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA).
“Nine bodies were discovered and exhumed on Sunday...at a site suspected of containing mass graves, in the town of Tarhuna,” said a statement posted on Facebook by pro-GNA forces.
Government forces earlier this month said they had discovered eight other suspected mass graves, most of them in and around Tarhuna, with the United Nations voicing “horror” at the reports. Yesterday’s statement said authorities were still searching for other potential mass graves “left by the Al-Kani criminal gangs, a pro-Haftar militia”. Forces loyal to the GNA seized back Tarhuna, Haftar’s last western stronghold, on June 5. The 14 months of fighting for the capital left hundreds dead and forced some 200,000 people to flee their homes.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
US calls for credible probe into 'overwhelming' Beirut blast
UN rejects Iran arms embargo extension, crisis looms
Palestinians warn Israel-UAE deal imperils Al Aqsa mosque
Russia, Turkey halt patrols in Syria's Idlib over militant attacks
Israel, UAE to normalise relations; West Bank annexation on hold
Prosecution says to grill ministers over Beirut blast
More than 170 dead in Yemen floods
WHO seeking $76mn for Lebanon after Beirut blast, concerned about coronavirus
Beirut buries more of its dead as world mobilises