Philippine authorities yesterday expressed alarm over a spike in the number of coronavirus infections in the country and urged the public to strictly follow preventive protocols.
The surge in the confirmed Covid-19 cases came more than a month after the government began to ease the lockdown imposed in the capital of Manila and other high-risk areas on June 1.
“We are alarmed because the number (of Covid-19 cases) should have been maintained or gone down but many are really hard-headed,” Interior Secretary Eduardo Ano said.
“Because of our intention to open up the economy, it will really boil down to the individual persons on how we will adhere, comply, obey with the minimum health standards,” he added. Ano said the lockdown allowed the government to increase the capacities to test, trace, treat and isolate cases, adding,
“So we can say we are ready, but the people must co-operate.”
The Department of Health yesterday reported 2,099 additional Covid-19 cases, bringing the national tally to 46,333. The death toll also rose to 1,303 with six additional deaths reported in the past 24 hours, it added.
The additional cases included 1,258 “fresh cases” or those confirmed in the past three days, and 842 “late cases” or those confirmed previously but were only added now to the tally, the department said.
The lockdown in the country’s most populous island of Luzon, including the capital of Manila, and in other high-risk areas was imposed in mid-March.
Since June 1, limited public transportation has resumed, while shopping malls, salons, barber shops, restaurants and private offices have also opened in a reduced
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Giant clam shells worth $24.8 million seized in Philippine raid
Myanmar's junta releases 23,000 prisoners in New Year's amnesty
Opponents of Myanmar coup announce unity government
Duterte floats conversion of hotels into Covid facilities
Philippines lifts nine-year-old ban on new mines to boost revenues
Will ‘waive’ Covid-19 vaccine, says Duterte
Seven killed after earthquake rocks Indonesia’s island
New cyclone barrels toward disaster-struck Indonesia
Philippines suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 60